Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lemon Surprise Pudding

I am making Lemon Surprise Pudding in a minute and, as Delia says, the suprise is that there's a lemony sauce underneath the spongey pudding. I don't think that's a very big surprise but maybe it was to the first person who made it.

I also need to make a summer pudding to use up some defrosted berries that I've got. Summer Puddings always remind me of the opening to The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields. Daisy's mother dies of pre-eclampsia whilst making something like a summer pudding. It's horrible in a way because the raspberry juice is like blood and the bread is like her soft white skin. It's a sad book, I think. It's really a kitchen sink movement style book based on Daisy's experience of domesticity. It starts with love, passion even, between the summer pudding lady and her husband but ends with nothing.

5 comments:


El said...

The raspberyy juice and bread is also a bit last suppery. What is that about?

Matt said...

you've cheered me up no end!

El said...

That's what an English degree does for you. Gives life that cheery sheen you've always been looking for!

Anonymous said...

u r nuts

Anonymous said...

I have just been removed from the outpatients of a mental health facility - I was suffering from depression and as you can imagine looking for something to lighten my mood and feel there was a positive purpose to my life. Imagine my deilght to see the beginning of your charming recipe to cake. I began to assemble the ingredients and felt warm and peaceful at the wonderfully domestic mood evoked by your piece until the point where you felt compelled to begin including entirely inconguous and polymorphously upsetting comments on death and how the cake resembled dead skin and blood. Well thanks very much because after my brief hiatus I am back to square one and indeed feel even worse than before. Perhaps you would like to keep the recipes for your 'death cakes' secret in future or at least not post these publically but simply share them with other macabre fiends of your persuasion.
Thanks for nothing.